Showing 815 results

People and Organisations

Geelong Harbor Trust Commissioners

  • Corporate body
  • 1905 - 1997

Establishment The Geelong Harbor Trust Commission was established under the provisions of the Geelong Harbor Trust Act 1905 (No.2012). Under the provisions of the Port of Geelong Authority Act 1981 (No.9658), the Commission was reconstituted as the Port of Geelong Authority (PGA) from 1981. The reconstitution did not reflect a change in function, but rather represented an attempt to follow modern practice with respect to the naming of organisations responsible for the operations of ports throughout the world. The PGA was responsible for the management and regulation of activities at the port at Geelong and within Corio Bay and the outer harbour of Geelong. In addition, the Authority was responsible for the associated ports at Queenscliff, Barwon Heads, Lorne and Apollo Bay. Functions The Commission/Authority was responsible for: Regulation of the trade of the port with respect to such matters as landing or shipping of merchandise arrivals and departures of vessels wharfage rates. Management of port facilities such as wharves, piers, jetties, dock, ships, lights, buoys, beacons, moorings, tugs, workshops, water police, emergency services and land adjacent to the ports waterways. Improvements to the Port including widening and deepening the ports waterways construction and maintenance of wharfage accommodation, docks and other port facilities as mentioned above regular dredging operations control of noxious trades and deposits of refuse with the port boundary. Co-ordination of the above functions to ensure the efficient operation of all port activities. Development since 1981 The Port of Geelong Authority was responsible to the Minister for Public Works VRG 28) until 1 July 1983 when overall responsibility for maritime activities, including the functions of the Authority, was transferred to the Minister of Transport (VRG 49). During the period 1991 to 1992, the Authority reported to the Minister for Ports (VRG 103) and from 1992 to 1996 to the Minister for Roads and Ports (VRG 112). On 1 October 1986 the Ports and Harbours Division of the Ministry of Transport was integrated with Victorias three port authorities. Responsibility for port facilities and activities along Victorias western coast was divided between the Port of Portland Authority (VA 1427) and the Port of Geelong Authority. The Port of Geelong Authority was abolished on 10 Dec. 1997. The commercial functions of the PGA were transferred to TNT Ports Ltd on 1 July 1996. Residual functions were transferred to other agencies including the Department of Natural Resources & Environment (DNRE), the City of Greater Geelong (CGG), Victorian Channels Authority (VCA), and Parks Victoria (PV). The Office of the Administrator assumed responsibility for the administration of the residual rights and obligations of the corporate structure of the Port of Geelong Authority.

Geelong Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1852 - current

A public meeting held at the Theatre Royal, Malop Street, Geelong on Thursday 22 February 1849 was called by the Trustees of the Irish and Scotch Relief Fund, on behalf of the subscribers, to deliberate on the necessary measures required to be taken to build a public hospital in Geelong. The meeting resolved that a Benevolent Asylum be established in connection with the Hospital. A provisional committee was established to pursue the objectives of the meeting. A Committee of Management was elected at a meeting held on 18 December 1851. The foundation stone of the Geelong Infirmary and Benevolent Asylum was laid on 1 May 1850. The Hospital opened in 1852, the first patient being admitted on 23 April of that year. The public hospital in Geelong has had four official names. It was known as the Geelong Infirmary and Benevolent Asylum in the period 1852-1923. The Benevolents were moved to Ballarat in mid-February 1923 and immediately the name Geelong Hospital came into use. Geelong and District Hospital became the official name on 13 March 1924. Finally The Geelong Hospital was gazetted on 12 October 1966. Some important dates in the history of The Geelong hospital are 1922 Foundation stone laid for new hospital building to be known as Geelong and District Hospital (Kitchener Memorial) 1924 New hospital opened and original building demolished 1931 First section of Nurses' Home erected 1940 Kardinia House, private and intermediate section, opened. In the same year the Josephine Kenny Wing was added to the Nurses' Home. 1943 Infectious Diseases Hospital opened. It was later known as Bellarine House and used for general purposes. 1950 The Oswald C. Hearne Wing added to Ryrie Street Nurses' Home and No. 2 Home, Myers Street, built 1954 Baxter House (Maternity Hospital) opened. 1956 Pathology block established 1959 New School of Nursing erected 1966 Title of hospital changed to The Geelong Hospital 1968 Plans for Geelong's third hospital, The Geelong Hospital, a multi-storey building, approved to replace the 1924 Kitchener Memorial 1969 First section of the new building commenced 1970 First section of the new building, known as the South Wing, completed and opened 1973 Affiliation with Monash University for medicalunder-graduate teaching 1974 Building of the Roy Birdsey Wing commenced 1975 The Roy Birdsey Wing completed with the first patient admitted in March 1976 1979 E.C. Dax House, the psychiatric unit, erected 1986 The Patricia Heath Wing was opened On 18 October 1974, The Geelong Hospital became the first hospital in Australia to be accredited by the Australian Council on Hospital Standards. The Council, a joint service of the Australian Hospital Association and the Australian Medical Association, was established to implement, inter alia, a national program of hospital accreditation involving surveys by a team of professionals in the health field.

Geelong Ladies' Reading Circle

  • Corporate body
  • 1890 -

The Geelong Ladies Reading Circle is one of Australia's longest running reading groups. While it is believed that the Reading Circle first began in 1890, the earliest surviving minute book is dated February 1907. In the first half of the twentieth century, they were a serious group who met to discuss novels, poetry, essays, travel writing, biography and history. Members presented papers at meetings that they had researched themselves. However, by the 1960s novels had fallen out of fashion with the group and were relegated to 'holiday reading'. In 1990, the group celebrated its 100-year anniversary. In 2016, they celebrated their 125-year anniversary. The Reading Circle have been meeting continuously since 1907 and have meticulously kept meeting minutes. The Reading Circle still to meet to this day and operate as a formal non-fiction book club. Click for more information.

Geelong Regional Commission

  • Corporate body
  • 1977 - 1993

The Geelong Regional Commission was established in 1977 under the Geelong Regional Commission Act 1977. It came into operation on 1 August 1977 (with the first meeting held 12 August 1977) as the successor to the Geelong Regional Planning Authority (VA 2830). It's creation gave effect to the State Government's decentralisation policies and, in particular, Statement of Planning Policy No.7 (Geelong), which received Governor-in-Council approval in August 1973. Under the Act, the Commission was responsible to the Minister for State Development and Decentralisation (VRG 51) except in respect of the Commission's statutory planning functions under the Town and Country Planning Act for which it was responsible to the Minister for Planning (VRG 65). The Commission consists of fourteen members, five appointed by the Governor-in-Council and one appointed from each municipality in the Geelong area, namely the: City of Geelong City of Geelong West City of Newtown City of South Barwon Borough of Queenscliffe Shire of Bannockburn Shire of Barrabool Shire of Bellarine Shire of Corio. Following the proclamation of the City of Greater Geelong Act 1993 (No. 16/1993) on 18 May 1993 the Geelong Regional Commission was abolished. The City of Greater Geelong was constituted under Part 2 of the Act; the boundaries of the city were described in Schedule 1 (of the Act). The Greater Geelong City Council was the successor in law of the former councils subsumed in its creation. Commissioners were to be appointed under Section 7 of the Act. Under Part 3 of the Act, the boundaries of the Shire of Bannockburn were fixed and described in Schedule 2. Under Part 4 of the Act, the boundaries of the Shire of Barrabool were fixed and described in Schedule 3. The Act includes a section (Section 23) to enable the implementation of plans devised under the Geelong Regional Planning Scheme. Each of the municipal districts of the Greater Geelong City Council, the Shire of Bannockburn, the Borough of Queenscliffe, and the Barrabool Shire Council were to become a planning authority in relation to the planning scheme applying in its municipal district.

Geelong Regional Committee - Victoria's 150th Anniversary Celebrations

  • Corporate body
  • 1980 - 1986

The first public meeting was held on 10 July 1980. The Mayor reported at the second meeting of the Committee that the Premier had asked him to join a Citizens' Committee in Melbourne to assist in organising Victoria's 150th Anniversary Celebrations. Since then Cr. Glover has been requested to form a Geelong Regional Committee. The aim of the celebrations was for all Victorians to participate in some form and that projects be organised of a permanent nature. The 150th Anniversary Celebrations were to be conducted from October 1984 to November 1985. The Geelong Regional Committee was divided into several specialist committees with a chairperson appointed for each. The date of the final meeting was 10 February 1986.

Geelong Regional Planning Authority

  • Corporate body
  • 1969 - 1977

Under an Order-in-Council published in the Victoria Government Gazette on 23 April 1969 the Geelong Regional Planning Authority was established subject to section 12 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1961. The Authority was to consist of 18 members comprising two representatives of each of the following municipalities: Geelong Geelong West Newtown Queenscliff Bannockburn Barrabool Bellarine Corio South Barwon. The Authority commenced operations on 31 July 1969. In 1975 the Geelong Regional Planning Authority Act was passed with the intention of furthering the growth and development of the Geelong area especially through the control of planning aspects. Section 28(1) of that Act states: The Geelong Regional Authority constituted under this Act shall be deemed to be the same body as the Geelong Regional Planning Authority constituted immediately before this Act. In 1977 the Geelong Regional Commission Act was proclaimed and came into effect on 1 August 1977. The new Commission (VA 426) became the successor in law to the Authority. Location of Records Some records have been transferred to the Public Record Office. See also VA 426 Geelong Regional Commission.

Results 301 to 350 of 815