Showing 815 results

People and Organisations

Walton

  • Family
  • 1869 - 1999

William Walton (b.1869? – d.1945) and Elizabeth Isabella Walton (nee Cole b.1872? – d.1946) were married in 1892 and had five children: Thomas Isaac Walton (1893 – 1976), William John Walton (1894 – 1976), James Leslie Walton (1897 – 1920), Florence Elizabeth Walton (1900 - ?) and Eileen Jean Emond (nee Walton 1902 - 1999?) William John Walton and James Leslie Walton served in the First World War. William Walton senior’s occupation was a bootmaker and resided at William Street, Newtown and Hope Street, Geelong West.

Clem Fox

Photographer

Creator (ISAD 3.2.1)

Example fonds Creator history (ISAD 3.2.2). Note that this will be added to the related authority record for Creator (ISAD 3.2.1).

Woodward

  • Family
  • 1892 - 1982

Stephen Thomas Woodward (1858-1935) and Florence Elizabeth Woodward (1861 - 1946 nee Hopton) were married in Geelong in 1885 and had three children: Florence Agnes Woodward (1886 - 1946 married Wilmot), Violet Louise Woodward (1887 - 1951 married Portch) and Hubert Stephen Hopton Woodward (1892 - 1982).

Stephen Thomas Woodward was a coach builder in Corio Street, Geelong. His son Hubert Stephen Hopton Woodward attended Flinders State School and studied engineering at Geelong Gordon College from 1908-1911. After graduating, he worked at R.W Hill Engineer’s in South Geelong. In 1916, Hubert Woodward travelled to England and worked in an ammunitions factory in Sheffield during the First World War. He married Kate Buttery (1891-1974) and returned to Geelong to work in the engineering firm, Humble & Sons Vulcan Foundry in Little Malop Street.

Geelong Ladies' Reading Circle

  • Corporate body
  • 1890 -

The Geelong Ladies Reading Circle is one of Australia's longest running reading groups. While it is believed that the Reading Circle first began in 1890, the earliest surviving minute book is dated February 1907. In the first half of the twentieth century, they were a serious group who met to discuss novels, poetry, essays, travel writing, biography and history. Members presented papers at meetings that they had researched themselves. However, by the 1960s novels had fallen out of fashion with the group and were relegated to 'holiday reading'. In 1990, the group celebrated its 100-year anniversary. In 2016, they celebrated their 125-year anniversary. The Reading Circle have been meeting continuously since 1907 and have meticulously kept meeting minutes. The Reading Circle still to meet to this day and operate as a formal non-fiction book club. Click https://chrg.deakin.edu.au/2022/08/an-interesting-and-animated-discussion-the-geelong-ladies-reading-circle-project/ for more information.

State Government Offices

  • 1979 - current

Known locally as the upside-down building, the unusual design of Geelong’s State Government Offices tends to attract equal amounts of awe, indifference and derision.

Brutalist architecture is not often seen in Geelong but just a few doors down you will find the Geelong Performing Arts Centre, another exposed concrete structure.

The ‘futuristic’ design of the offices was a collaborative effort by the Victorian Public Works Department, the shape of which was described by the Chief Architect as reflecting ‘the strong social influences we are all subject to, and which reach out from the past to include the present, and foreshadow the future’.

Victorian Premier, Rupert Hamer opened the Offices 22 March 1979, on the site previously known as ‘Geelong No. 6 Car Park’. It was planned that 21 government departments and authorities would move in.

Housing an extraordinarily intricate glass mosiac depicting the early history of Geelong and Australia, the upside-down building itself is anything but ordinary.

Avalon Airport Australia Pty Ltd

  • Corporate body
  • 1952 - current

Avalon Airfield also known as ‘Avalon Airport’ has played a key role in Australia’s Aviation and space flight industry.

In 1952, the Commonwealth Government purchased 4,333 acres of land in Lara, close to Geelong, for testing and construction of aircrafts. The Canberra Jet Bomber Aircraft being the first flight to be tested at Avalon Airfield in June 1953.

Other test flights and flights making the newspapers at the time include:

  • In July 1954, Australia’s first production-line Sabre jetfighter.

  • In September 1956, Britain's Vulcan jet bomber makes a new record, flying from England to Avalon Airfield after only 22 hours flying. Being the first aircraft to fly non-stop from Singapore to Melbourne.

  • In 1963, the first Australian assembled Mirage.

  • In July 1971, Australian Government Aircraft Factory's Project N.

Unfortunately, in August 1976, another prototype N24 Nomad crashed at Avalon killing Stuart Pearce (father of actor Guy Pearce) and designer David Hooper. The stated cause of the accident was "flutter from experimental control tabs".

In July 1990, Aerospace Technologies of Australia (ASTA) purchased a 99 year lease over the Avalon Airfield for airline training, education services and aircraft production and maintenance operations.

In early 1997, Linfox purchased Avalon Airport from the Commonwealth and greatly upgraded the infrastructure and facilities in preparation for commercial passenger airline use.

On 1 June 2004, the first domestic flight with Jetstar occurred at Avalon offering limited routes at first.

In 2010, Tigerair commenced operations, but were unsuccessful and short-lived.

In 2018, Avalon Airport commenced international flights. With government funding assistance, Air Asia X moved their twice daily Kuala Lumpur services from Tullamarine to Avalon. This move connected the Victorian region to more than 130 places throughout Asia.

Today Avalon Airport:

  • Is both a commercial passenger airport and a General Aviation airport.

  • Continues to host the Australian International Airshow every 2nd year.

  • Currently offers Jetstar flights for Sydney, Adelaide and the Gold Coast, AirAsia flights for Kuala Lumpur and Citilink flights for Bali.

Warrenbeen Station

  • Corporate body
  • c.1840s - current

Warrenbeen Station was part of the early wool industry in the Geelong region, situated on the Shelford Rokewood Road, running merino sheep across 40,000 acres.

The station was part of the land leases of crown land in the early 1800s with a succession of lease holders.

Major WD Mercer held the property from 1842-1846. It was then leased and owned by Major John Bell, resident of Bell Park, Geelong. It was noted in Major Bell's obituary on 29 Jan 1876 that he had owned Warrenbeen station.

The station was later known by the names Warrambine and Warrambeen and is currently in existence as Warrambeen Estate.

Massingham, George Leake

  • Person
  • 1850 - 1931

George Leake Massingham, a photographer specialising in portraits and landscapes, created a series of portraits of the original colonists in the Geelong region.

George arrived in Australia as a 16 year old assisted immigrant. He worked as a travelling photographer before settling in Geelong.

Establishing a photography business on Moorabool Street he produced some of the most iconic images of 1890s Geelong.

The business was sold in June 1901 and George moved to Bendigo.

Geelong Bell-ringers' Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1867 - current

The Geelong Bell-ringers’ Club’s first recorded performance was at a tea meeting at St Paul’s Church in Geelong West in 1867 after having only recently formed. Since their inception, the work of the club members has been ringing out over Geelong during occasions including weekly church services, weddings and Queen’s Birthday celebrations.

The club has also welcomed visiting organisations during its lifetime including the 1883 visit by the Victorian Society of Change-Ringers whose performance was praised by the captain of the club at the time. More recently, current tower captain David Heyes saw a group of elite bell-ringers from England perform a 3 hour peal at St Paul’s in 2011.

There are currently 10 members of the St Paul’s congregation keeping the traditions of the club alive although activities have been placed on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Church of England Girls' Grammar School

  • Corporate body
  • 1906 - 1976

Armytage House was built by George Armytage between 1858 -1860.

The grounds and outbuildings were bought by the Church of England in 1905 to become the Geelong Church of England Girls Grammar School, The Hermitage.

The emphasis was always on boarders, particularly girls from Western District families.

The school moved to more spacious grounds and modern buildings at Highton in 1973.

In 1976 The Hermitage amalgamated with Geelong Grammar School and Clyde School.

Chas Cole & Co

  • Corporate body
  • 1894 -

Chas Cole and Co. was a major player in the development of Geelong industry.

Charles Cole’s father, Edward, was a Wine and Spirit merchant in Geelong from at least 1848 and continued through to the 1880s.

Charles (born 1859) started in the family firm but had commenced his own business in the same line by 1884. He started making cordials and added aerated waters to his business around 1890.

The company has been prominent in the liquor industry since its inception.

Carngham Pastoral Station

  • Corporate body
  • 1838 -

The station has a rich history dating back to 1838 when James D Baillie settled there.

In 1843, Philip Russell and his cousin Robert Simson arrived in Port Phillip. They became business partners and for £950 bought 3,500 sheep from the insolvent Baillie estate, including the 30,000 acre Carngham Station.

Philip Russell and Simson designed their Carngham cottage for two couples. Both married in 1851 and Russell took his bride Annie Lewis to Scotland, while Simson took charge at Carngham.

In 1853 the partners separated and Philip Russell took Carngham over.

In January 2013, the homestead was burnt down in the Carngham and Chepstowe fires. It wasn’t the first time this had happened. In 1918 a log rolling from a fireplace razed the building, leaving just a few stone walls and chimneys remaining of the 45 room dwelling.

Toc H (Ocean Grove Branch)

  • Corporate body
  • c1939 - c1960s

'Toc H' also known as Talbot House was founded by Reverend P.B "Tubby" Clayton, near the battlefields of Ypres Belgium in 1915 during World War 1. The original Talbot House was in the close by town of Poperinge, Belgium, and was a building where soldiers could rest, relax and pray while going and returning from the horrible front lines of the war.

The house was named in memory of a close friend of Rev. Clayton who died in 1915, Lieutenant Gilbert Talbot. "Toc" signifies the letter T in the signals spelling alphabet used by the British Army in World War I.

After the war, the spirit and ethos of Tabot House became a movement, beginning in 1922 in England and then began to spread around the world, especially in the Commonwealth.

In Australia, the movement was championed by the then Governor General Lord Forster, who himself had lost two sons in World War 1. In 1925 Rev. Clayton toured Australia and by the early 1930s there were Toc H branches in every state.

The Toc H movement continues today. It's main work is building friendships and offering service to the community. It's vision statement is 'to build a better world by reaching out to all in friendship and service, promoting mutual understanding to lessen prejudice, and practising Christian Values.’

The Ocean Grove branch was established in 1939, meeting at St Peter's Church in Hodgson St, Ocean Grove.

On January 7th 1940 a great tragedy occurred for the organisation as two young boys drowned while attending a Toc H Camp at Ocean Grove.

The artist Sidney Nolan regularly attended Toc H meetings and was involved with the group, during the time he lived in Ocean Grove in 1939-1940.

Toc H (Geelong West Branch)

  • Corporate body
  • 1925 -

'Toc H' also known as Talbot House was founded by Reverend P.B "Tubby" Clayton, near the battlefields of Ypres Belgium in 1915 during World War 1. The original Talbot House was in the close by town of Poperinge, Belgium, and was a building where soldiers could rest, relax and pray while going and returning from the horrible front lines of the war.

The house was named in memory of a close friend of Rev. Clayton who died in 1915, Lieutenant Gilbert Talbot. "Toc" signifies the letter T in the signals spelling alphabet used by the British Army in World War I.

After the war, the spirit and ethos of Tabot House became a movement, beginning in 1922 in England and then began to spread around the world, especially in the Commonwealth.

In Australia, the movement was championed by the then Governor General Lord Forster, who himself had lost two sons in World War 1. In 1925 Rev. Clayton toured Australia and by the early 1930s there were Toc H branches in every state.

The Geelong branch began meeting in November 1925 at the Guild Hall, Myers Street Geelong.

The Toc H movement continues today. It's main work is building friendships and offering service to the community. It's vision statement is 'to build a better world by reaching out to all in friendship and service, promoting mutual understanding to lessen prejudice, and practising Christian Values.’

Weatherboard Station

  • Corporate body
  • c.1830s - ?

From the late 1830's the weatherboard station pastoral run, which was owned by the Derwent Company, was located on both sides of the Barwon river near Inverleigh.

In 1854 it was subdivided into Weatherboard No.1 on the north side of the river and Weatherboard No.2 on the south side. Weatherboard No.1 became the property in 1856 of William Berthon. He kept journals of his time on the property from 1864 until 1875, which are now part of the Geelong Heritage Centre collection.

The original Weatherboard property was a prefabricated iron house imported from England in the 1850s, manufactured by John Walker of Millwall, Poplar in London. These prefabricated houses have both architectural and historical significance.

Royal Society of Victoria

  • Corporate body
  • 1854 -

The Royal Society of Victoria began in 1854 and was modelled on the Royal Society of London.

From the beginning their purpose was the promotion of science for the benefit of the community. It aimed to contribute to the advancement of science for the good of the Victorian community.

The Royal Society of Victoria had its origin in two independent societies, the Victorian Institute for the Advancement of Science and the Philosophical Society of Victoria, which were founded in 1854 and united in the following year as the Philosophical Institute of Victoria. The name was changed to The Royal Society of Victoria late in 1859 and the first meeting was held on 21 December that year.

The Society continues to focus on the promotion of science for the benefit of the community. Each year the Society runs a series of public lectures and scientific symposia across a wide range of sciences.

Royal Historical Society of Victoria

  • Corporate body
  • 1909 -

The Royal Historical Society of Victoria (RHSV) is a community organisation dedicated to collecting, researching and sharing an understanding of the history of Victoria.

It was established in 1909 with donations from early settlers and their descendants as well as amateur and professional historians.

The RHSV specialises in Victorian history and contains manuscripts, documents, photographs and some artefacts. This has created a rich and diverse collection covering social, economic, political, and cultural aspects of Victoria’s history.

United Ancient Order of Druids Corio Lodge No 208

  • Corporate body
  • 1903 - 1969

The United Ancient Order of Druids (UAOD) was founded in Victoria around 1862.

A meeting was held on the 18 June 1886 at the Caledonian Hotel in Little Ryrie St, Geelong to gauge interest in the formation of a Geelong branch of the Ancient Order of the Druids.

The United Ancient Order of Druids (UAOD) was a benefit society and when a member joined they were able to access medical assistance and medicines.

The Druidic movement became popular and boasted more than 70,000 members at its peak.

The Herald

  • Corporate body
  • 1849 - 1990

In January 1849 The Melbourne Morning Herald (previously The Port Phillip Herald) was created.

The newspaper changed its name several times before settling on The Herald from 8 September 1855.

On the 20th December 1986, The Herald in Melbourne published its final Saturday issue. It was Australia’s last evening newspaper.

In February 1987, the company publishing The Herald and Weekly Times Limited was purchased by Rupert Murdoch through his company News Limited.

The Herald Sun was established in 1990 as an amalgam of the afternoon daily, The Herald, and the morning daily, The Sun News-Pictorial.

Staffordshire Reef Cemetery

  • Corporate body
  • 1863 -

The Staffordshire Reef Cemetery contains the graves of local pioneering families, miners from the local diggings and more recently, former residents of the Staffordshire Reef district.

The Staffordshire Reef Cemetery is significant due to its range of tombstones and memorials reflecting the different periods and groups within the community.

Bannockburn Yellow Gum Action Group

  • Corporate body
  • July 1997 - c.1998

The Bannockburn Yellow Gum Action Group (BYGAG) was a community group founded in 1997 to protect local woodland that contained many Yellow Gum. At the time, Barwon Water planned to bulldoze the woodland for a sewerage farm.

After a long community campaign including protests and a blockade, ultimately the group was unsuccessful in protecting the trees. The trees were cut down on 19 August 1997.

Back to Back Theatre

  • Corporate body
  • 1987 -

Back to Back Theatre is a pioneering contemporary theatre company based in Geelong with a full-time ensemble of eight actors considered to have an intellectual disability.

They are one of Australia's most successful theatre companies. Their 2011 hit 'Ganesh Versus the Third Reich', has toured in 35 cities and 18 countries - taking Geelong based actors around the world.

ABC Café

  • Corporate body
  • 1913-12-16 - ?

The ABC Cafe opened in Geelong in December 1913 at a time when only a handful of such establishments existed. Newspaper articles at the time report that it was built almost exclusively from Geelong sourced materials, and by Geelong tradespeople.

Tragedy struck during construction when a plasterer fell from a scaffold to their death.

The cafe was expanded with a second level added in 1927.

The Geelong Heritage Centre holds a dinner set from the cafe in its collection. You can also see several photos of the ABC cafe here:

https://catalogue.grlc.vic.gov.au/client/en_GB/public/search/results?qu=abc+cafe&te=ASSET

Australian Women's National League (Geelong Branch)

  • Corporate body
  • 1904 - c.1944

The Australian Women’s National League aimed to promote anti-socialist ideas to Australian women who had been given the right to vote in Australian federal elections in 1902.

Their tenets were loyalty to the throne, counteracting socialist tendencies, educating women in their political responsibilities and safeguarding the interests of the home, women and children.

Lady Janet Clarke was elected the inaugural president in 1904.

In 1912, the Liberal Prime Minister Alfred Deakin described the lobby group as "fierce and unceasing" in their political demands.

At its peak in World War 1, the AWNL had 500 registered branches and more than 54,000 members across Australia including a Geelong branch.

Roadknight and Co

  • Corporate body
  • c.1870 - c.1965

The Roadknights are inextricably linked to the early settler history of Geelong. Pastoralists, Real Estate Agents, Auctioneers, Woolbrokers etc., their name is indelibly connected to land and their pursuits have helped shape the region.

By c.1870 Roadknight & Co. appears to have begun formalised business operations, although the partnership Mackenzie, Roadknight & Co advertised livestock auctions in 1868.

The subdivision and sale of land comprised the bulk of the firm's business over multiple generations of the Roadknight and extended families. Business operations ceased following the death of Frank Cyril Roadknight.

British Royal Family

  • Family

Various series in the Heritage Centre collection feature members of the royal family. Geelong has hosted a number of visits by royal family members including:

1850 - Prince Frederick of Schleswig-Holstein (in cognito) (Source: The Investigator 2008, Vol. 43, No. 1, p.30)

1867 - HRH Alfred the Duke of Edinburgh (Source: The Investigator 2008, Vol. 43, No. 1, p.30)

14 May 1901 - Duke and Duchess of York (Source: Trove)

1 June 1920 - Edward, Prince of Wales (Source: GRS1218/1 Geelong City Council Visitors Book) (Source: The Investigator 2001, Vol. 36, No. 3, p.108)

7 May 1927 - Albert and Elizabeth, Duke & Duchess of Cornwall (Source: GRS1218/1 Geelong City Council Visitors Book) (Source: The Investigator 2001, Vol. 36, No. 3, p.108)

3 November 1934 - Henry, Duke of Gloucester (Source: GRS1218/1 Geelong City Council Visitors Book)

22 November 1945 - Henry and Alice (Source: GRS1218/1 Geelong City Council Visitors Book)

6 March 1954 - Queen Elizabeth (Source: Trove)

21 September 1959 - Princess Alexandra of Kent (Source: GA)

16 June 1966 - Charles, Prince of Wales (Source: GRS1218/1 Geelong City Council Visitors Book)

29 October 1974 - Charles, Prince of Wales (Source: GRS1218/1 Geelong City Council Visitors Book)

28 April 1988 - Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip (Source: GRS1218/1 Geelong City Council Visitors Book)

Winchelsea Shire Council

  • Corporate body
  • 1860 - 1994

Winchelsea was created a District on 9 November 1860. It was proclaimed a Shire on 27 May 1864. It was redefined on 7 November 1890. It was re-subdivided into four ridings on 26 February 1889. It was part severed and constituted as part of Otway Shire on 6 May 1919. It was redefined by a part being severed and annexed to Barrabool Shire on 31 May 1927. Riding boundaries were redefined in July 1959. A part was severed and annexed to Otway Shire on 1 October 1963. It was enlarged and redefined by annexation of an area of land from the Shire of Barrabool on 1 April 1989. It was re-subdivided into three ridings on 1 April 1989. Local Government Reform 1993-1995 Winchelsea Shire amalgamated with Barrabool Shire and severances from the City of Greater Geelong and Colac Shire to create Surf Coast Shire on 9 March 1994. This occurred as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78.

Results 1 to 50 of 815